Tuesday 15 May 2007

I spent last Saturday in bed, feeling doped out with antibiotics and painkillers, so finished reading Catcher in the Rye, by J D Salinger, the choice for Mondays Reading Group meeting. I found it rather sad, had understod it to be the ultimate book aboutt a teenage boy growing-up in 1950's America - but I'm not sure the main character/narrator does much of that in the tale he tells. Sure, he does some grown-up stuff ,if you can call it that, smoking like a chimney, getting drunk, trying to get laid by a prostitute, but ultimately it's more about his loss of the companionship of his younger brother and how the only person who he seems able to communicate with is his eleven year old sister. An interesting read, which provoked a fairly lively discussion at the group meeting. Our next read is Jed Rubenfeld's The Interpretation of Murder, which the library could only supply us with 2 copies of , all other 27 being on loan. I bought one in the Sainsbury's opposite the library for £4.99, and may sell it afterwards on green metropolis.com, a useful place to buy and sell recent books and which may net me £3.00+. I recently ordered Yiyun Li's Thousand years of good prayers for another reading group I attend and the order came in about 3 or 4 days and cost £3.75.

No comments:

google tracker